Are you developing a cool new mobile app? As a developer, you probably know how important it is to make sure that your app works properly and displays correctly not only in a simulator environment but also on real mobile handsets. Obtaining a variety of devices, though, can be quite difficult as well as expensive.
Did you know that you can test your app on a variety real Vodafone devices over the web and FOR FREE??
We are offering developers a new service called “The Vodafone Handset Cloud”, which is based on a system by Perfecto Mobile. This service enables you to test your apps on REAL mobile handsets working in the Vodafone networks in Germany and in Italy.
As a Vodafone developer you can use this service FREE OF CHARGE (a quick sign-up process is required).
Using the service you can access a real mobile device via the web, control the device as if you were holding it in your hand, install your app on it and test it thoroughly to make sure it works well.
See how it looks in the product tour below,
How can the Handset Cloud service help you?
- Ensure quality - test on real devices, in addition to emulators.
- Get access to new devices - new devices are added as soon as they are introduced to the market.
- No need to buy devices for testing - if you only need the device for testing you can use the service instead of obtaining the device itself.
- Test environment – the devices are connected to the Vodafone network and enable data and messaging.
- Software Updates and Upgrades - new device firmware and software versions, as well as new versions of Vodafone AppSelect are updated on the devices as soon as they become available.
How Does It Work?
The service is based on a system by Perfecto Mobile. When a user clicks on a handset’s key in the GUI, the Perfecto Mobile system sends a command to the handset over its data connection to simulate the key press. Touch events are executed in a similar way. A video camera, located in front of the handset’s screen, captures the real user experience as it is displayed on the handset’s screen and streams it back to the user’s PC in real time. Learn more.
Additional information and updates about new devices can be found here.
The Handset Cloud service currently includes the following devices:
- HTC Ace
- HTC Desire
- HTC Desire S
- HTC Desire HD
- HTC Desire Z
- HTC Google-Nexus 1
- HTC Wildfire
- HTC Wildfire S
- HTC G2-Magic
- HTC Desire S (Android 2.3.2)
- HTC Desire HD (Android 2.2)
- LG P920 Optimus 3D
- Motorola DEFY
- Samsung GT-I9001 Galaxy S
- Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S2
- Samsung GT-I5510 Galaxy Mini Pro
- Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab
- Samsung P7500 Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Samsung I9000
- Samsung I9000 Galaxy S (Android 2.3.3)
- Sony Ericsson X10, X10-Mini & X10-Mini-Pro
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (Android 2.3.1)
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
- Vodafone Smart
- ZTE Blade
- Apple IPhone 3GS
- Apple IPhone 4
- BlackBerry 9000
- BlackBerry 9700
- BlackBerry 8520
- BlackBerry 9300
- Nokia N8
- Nokia C5-03
- Nokia C6-00
- Nokia C7-00
- Nokia E5
- Nokia X6
- Samsung S8500 Wave (Bada OS)